SOPA

Privacy issues. RFID tags, National ID, Microsoft, Patriot Act, Peeping Toms of all kinds. There are more and more issues everyday that take away our personal privacies, owning and using a computer adds even more issues. We will expose and discuss them here. Big Brother IS watching.

Moderators: JeanInMontana, rockingmtranch, ShadowPuterDude, admin, MysteryFCM, Owner

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

SOPA

Postby rockingmtranch » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:26 pm

Over 40 Internet Companies Come Out Publicly Against SOPA

Since the list of 120 or so SOPA supporting companies hit the Internet yesterday, the lines have been drawn; People are publicly promising to pull thousands of domains from domain registrar Godaddy after it appeared on the list as a supporter. Other people are calling those people “bullies.”

Whether you’re for or against it SOPA has become somewhat of a pain point amongst techies, with the overwhelming majority, including myself and almost every other writer on the TechCrunch team, leaning heavily towards “against.”

SOPA (the Stop Online Piracy Act) essentially allows ISPs to block entire domains because a piece of hosted content infringes copyright. As the bill approaches deliberation in House of Representatives next month, a steady stream of Internet companies have taken anti-SOPA stands. After all, sacrificing innovation to save a dying business model is a close as it gets to anathema in these parts.

Here’s a list of all the publicly anti-SOPA tech/Internet companies I could find. Please add other ones you know of in the comments.

http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/22/over-4 ... inst-sopa/
Linux. Don't fight it. You will be assimilated.
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd Armored Cavalry--Fort Polk, LA

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Re: SOPA

Postby JeanInMontana » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:54 pm

Even with a site as small as this it is nearly impossible to monitor every bit of content for copyright infringement. Policing the Internet is a lost cause IMO. Thanks for the post.
~Think Globally * Dream Universally~Anon
Image Donating any amount helps keep this site alive.

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:07 am

Everyone I've "talked" to has come to the same conclusion Jean. Just too complicated.
Linux. Don't fight it. You will be assimilated.
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd Armored Cavalry--Fort Polk, LA

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:19 pm

The tools that come up with this legislation have no idea how the WWW works and most of this stuff is because some special interest has paid them off to pass a law that benefits them and no one else. Requiring you ISP to log your activity? Who needs that? Big Brother.
~Think Globally * Dream Universally~Anon
Image Donating any amount helps keep this site alive.

Return to “M.Y.O.B.”