Linux at 20

All OS other than Windows open for discussion and problem solving.

Moderators: JeanInMontana, rockingmtranch, ShadowPuterDude, admin, MysteryFCM, Owner

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Linux at 20

Postby rockingmtranch » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:16 am

August 19, 1991 is the day that Linus Torvalds first announced Linux to the world. It's a project that he thought would be just a hobby. Twenty years later, Linux runs the world, from the core infrastructure of the Internet to stock exchanges and Android phones.

All that started with a simple message to a mailing list, which has now become one of the the most famous posting in Internet history.

Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
Subject: What would you like to see most in minix?
Summary: small poll for my new operating system
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Date: 25 Aug 91 20:57:08 GMT
Organization: University of Helsinki

Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing since april, and is starting to get ready. I'd like any feedback onthings people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons) among other things).

I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.

This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and I'd like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-) Linus ([email protected])

PS. Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.

It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(

Happy 20th Birthday, Linux and thank you, Linus, for making that post 20 years ago. Your hobby makes the Linux Planet go around.

http://www.linuxplanet.com/news/linux-turns-20.html
Linux. Don't fight it. You will be assimilated.
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd Armored Cavalry--Fort Polk, LA

Return to “Linux - Unix et al”