One Laptop Per Child

A forum for general news about the internet. Might not be strictly PC, should be connected in some way.

Moderators: JeanInMontana, rockingmtranch, ShadowPuterDude, admin, MysteryFCM, Owner

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

One Laptop Per Child

Postby rockingmtranch » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:40 pm

We tried putting Vista on it, but its little crank melted and fell off

Microsoft reports that it is doctoring up a version of Windows XP to run on the One Laptop Per Child project's XO computer and will begin field testing in January. Yes, this is the same Microsoft whose fearless leader dumped all over the project before recognizing the opportunity in co-opting ... uh, contributing to the effort (see "Hey, Melinda, what do you call a crank on a computer? Nicholas Negroponte." and "OK, that's $176 for the laptop, $3 for Windows and $500 for the remote tech support"). The XO's native environment is a version of Linux that runs off a flash drive, not a hard drive, and the machine has a non-standard slot for an additional memory card to supplement its minimal allotment, so the challenges of whittling XP into a workable size are considerable. But Microsoft is looking to other flash-drive-equipped laptops beyond the XO, so the work is part of a larger project. Said Microsoft's James Utzschneider, GM of the company's emerging markets unit, "Microsoft plans to publish some formal design guidelines early next year that will help Flash PC manufacturers benefit from our early work so they can design machines that enable a great Windows experience at as low a cost as possible." And wouldn't we all like that?

http://svextra.com/blogs/gmsv/2007/12/w ... ml#respond

:rotf:
Linux. Don't fight it. You will be assimilated.
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd Armored Cavalry--Fort Polk, LA

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

No, you misunderstood - OLPC stands for Our Laptop Per Child

Postby rockingmtranch » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:29 pm

Considering how mercilessly Nicholas Negroponte browbeat Intel into joining his One Laptop Per Child project, I suppose this shouldn’t come as surprise. After six months of trying to work together, the two parties have parted ways over what are being called “philosophical” differences, and if you count “my way or the highway” as philosophy, that’s about right.

The long-standing friction between the OLPC project and Intel has to do with the chipmaker’s work on the Classmate PC, its own relatively inexpensive laptop aimed at children in emerging markets. The OLPC vision of the “$100 laptop” took the form of the XO, running a Linux operating system on an AMD chip. Negroponte’s group was hoping Intel’s participation would bring some new technology and expertise. And that might have happened if the OLPC hadn’t kept insisting that Intel drop the whole Classmate PC thing and support the XO exclusively. That was a commitment Intel wasn’t willing to walk away from, so it bailed on OLPC instead.

The OLPC brass managed to restrain their grief. “I think that as an organization, Intel is about competition; they are not about learning,” sniped Walter Bender, the group’s president for software and content. Bender described chipmaker’s efforts to come up with an Intel-based XO as “seemingly half-hearted,” and added, “They developed something that, as far as I know, is more expensive and more power-hungry than our current offering, so I’m not quite sure what the point is.”

Let’s hope the kids who ultimately get one or the other of these laptops are a little bit better about sharing.

http://svextra.com/blogs/gmsv/2008/01/n ... l#comments

:?

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Welcome to the Two Operating Systems Per Child project

Postby rockingmtranch » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:39 pm

Youngsters in the developing regions of the world can rest easier tonight, knowing that should they be lucky enough to get an XO computer through the One Laptop Per Child project, they may not be locked into Linux. OLPC Chairman Nicholas Negroponte said Tuesday that his group and Microsoft are well on the way to putting a version of Windows on the sturdy little machines. “We are working with them very closely to make a dual-boot system so that, like on an Apple, you can boot either one up,” he told Computerworld. “The version that’s up and running of Windows on the XO is very fast; it’s very, very successful.” And you shouldn’t read too much into the fact that Microsoft hasn’t officially announced such an initiative, said Negroponte. “Look, we are a non-profit organization without shareholders. We can say whatever we want,” he told the Seattle P-I. “They have real fiduciary responsibility and it would be crazy for Microsoft to announce it as a formal product if there’s any chance they couldn’t support it. So they’re just being prudent. We know that.”

Negroponte also said his organization would launch OLPC America later this year to bring the machines to needy students in the United States. “The whole thing is merging right now. It will be state-centric. We’re trying to do it through the 50 state governments,” he said.

Meanwhile, assessing the current state of the relationship between OLPC and Intel after their nasty breakup (see “No, no, you misunderstood — OLPC stands for Our Laptop Per Child“) depends on where you get your news. Today’s BBC report still has Negroponte angrily accusing the chipmaker of trying to sabotage the project from inside by pushing Intel’s own Classmate PC (”Each time it happened they said they would correct their ways. It’s a little like cheating on your spouse, or alcoholism, or something you just can’t eventually fix and we had to finally part ways.”), and Intel denying any such thing (”The premise that we actually divorced over is that there is not one solution. No one company, no one solution has a monopoly on kids,” said Intel CEO Paul Otellini.). But talking to InfoWorld, Negroponte sounded like there was still a chance at reconciliation: “It was very unfortunate what happened with Intel and I hope there’s a way of rebuilding it in the future because there’s no interest in OLPC pushing Intel out. It just is not in our interest. Our goal is to get this to as many children as possible.

http://svextra.com/blogs/gmsv/2008/01/w ... ml#respond

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:08 am

You know this is all good and fine. But why doesn't this start here in the US? There are lots of kids here with no laptop. I guess I'm tired and cranky, but start at home then go where ever. :whp:

I'd like to buy the world a coke, but the kid across the alley should get his first.
~Think Globally * Dream Universally~Anon
ImageImageImage Donating any amount helps keep this site alive.

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:11 am

I feel the same way when I see those 'starving children in (insert country name here) commercials. WE have children going hungry. Charity begins at home?

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:18 pm

Yes I feel for those children, but there are kids in the tiny town I live in that don't have proper food, or clothing. And they sure as hell don't have a laptop.

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Why Microsoft Must Control One Laptop Per Child

Postby rockingmtranch » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:39 pm

Why Microsoft Must Control One Laptop Per Child
It's a threat Microsoft can't let stand: the entire third world learning Linux as children, and growing up to use it. And Microsoft is going to get its way.

It comes after a sudden wave of SCO-like problems for the OLPC project. A specious patent lawsuit over keyboards. Board-member Intel thrown out of the project for attempting to convince national governments to drop OLPC purchases and go with its own (Windows) product. First, OLPC is shown what its problems will be if it doesn't cooperate with Microsoft. Then, Microsoft approaches with money and technical help - you just have to run Windows to get it.

The move is presented as enabling choice. It starts out with a dual-boot capability, provided by Microsoft engineers. Not that any work by Microsoft was really needed, Open Source firmware that boots Microsoft operating systems has existed for ten years. Microsoft says they will issue guidelines, and start field trials this month. Dual-boot sounds harmless, but Microsoft's version of choice is better stated as we'll give you choice and then make you choose Microsoft. I'm sure there will be pressure on national governments to select Windows-only loads for their OLPC purchases, or to specify texts protected with Windows DRM for classroom use.

Nobody can pretend that the world has ever been absent any choice to run Microsoft software, or that Microsoft must work with OLPC to increase choice. Microsoft operating systems are the only option offered with the vast majority of desktop and server computers. By refusing to tolerate hardware that runs another OS by default, Microsoft is working to reduce choice.

Consider how good it might have been for the third world to have a computer infrasturcture they could support on their own, without any capital and technological drain to the United States. That's what they'll be losing. But that was never the goal of the OLPC project. It's meant to bring free e-Books to students, at a lower cost than their national governments could sustain. With OLPC based on all Free Software, it was likely that those books would have themselves been under similar licensing like Creative Content. Now, it is likely that third world students will be running DRM-locked textbooks that are only acessable under Windows.

Nicholas Negroponte has always been willing to go where the wind blows: the original OLPC prototypes ran Debian, notable because it's produced by a public-benefit non-profit. Once Red Hat offered money and resources, Debian disappeared from the system. Now it's Red Hat's turn to disappear.

The folks I have the most sympathy for are those students who might have been offered a way to take control of their own destiny, and make their nation self-sufficient for the IT infrastructure they need to participate in worldwide trade. Now, they'll get less. But I also feel sympathy for the many Open Source developers who participated in OLPC, and will now see their work discarded or perverted to support Microsoft.

Bruce Perens

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/1/10/33518

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Fires ravage local One Laptop project

Postby rockingmtranch » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:05 am

The South African arm of the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) project has suffered a setback following the past weekend’s devastating fires in the Western Cape. The project’s servers, which are run from Scarborough in the Cape Peninsula, were apparently damaged by the excess smoke and water in the area, and are now apparently unlikely to host the project’s website anytime soon. Local OLPC representative Antoine van Gelder said in an email early this week:

As some of you may have heard on the news we had massive fires raging through Scarborough, Red Hill and Ocean View over the weekend that left 11 families homeless, two firemen badly injured and turned miles of nature reserve into an apocalyptic wasteland.

Unfortunately my servers were only a couple of houses away from the worst of it and took enough soot and water damage that I won’t be able to host much of anything for the foreseeable future.

So, anyone who has some spare hosting capacity to run the laptop.org.za website I’m sure will be warmly received by the local team. Contact Antoine at children at laptop dot org dot za

Update: A kind, but anonymous, donor has given the OLPC team a brand, spanking new, machine.

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2098

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:14 pm

-:- [That's too bad. If I offered it makes me a hypocrite.

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

OLPC computers on their way to Birmingham, Ala.

Postby rockingmtranch » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:48 pm

Anyone who has thought that, as nice as the Linux-powered One Laptop Per Child computers are for the target market of third-world children, they'd also make a lot of sense for U.S. kids too, is in good company. The mayor of Birmingham, Ala., Larry Langford, had the same thought and the result is that the city will be deploying 15,000 OLPCs to its school system.

The OLPCs will be given to all first- through eighth-graders in the city's school system. Some of the computers are expected to be deployed as early as March, with the rest to follow by the beginning of the 2008-9 school year. The first of these small Linux laptops will be used in pilot programs as teachers get up to speed on these computers.

The Birmingham City Council approved spending $3.5 million on the child-friendly computers in mid-February. The city will also need to put Wi-Fi access points into place in its school systems to fully utilize the OLPC's network capabilities. John Katopodis, an adviser to Langford, is reported to have said that a Texas company is willing to donate the Wi-Fi APs to the city's school system. This would be the first mass deployment of the OLPC in the United States.

Nicholas Negroponte's student PC, the OLPC, was the first in what has recently become a movement toward inexpensive UMPCs (Ultra-Mobile PCs). These systems, such as the commercial Asus Eee PC, are resetting the laptop industry's minimum price point to below $200.

The OLPC comes with a 7.5-inch 1,200- by 900-pixel LCD screen, a digital video camera, built-in 802.11b/g wireless connectivity and a customized version of Fedora Core Linux with the Sugar interface.

The device is based on a low-power, x86-compatible Advanced Micro Devices Geode "embedded" processor clocked at 433MHz. It comes with 128MB of DRAM (dynamic RAM), along with 512MB of nonvolatile flash memory for program and data storage. In addition, it has three USB 2.0 ports. The system boots into Linux from its BIOS.

The OLPC has been slowly getting into production since the design was finalized and put into manufacturing in November 2007.

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS4348733866.html

:brvo: :wv: :rkon:

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:05 pm

:shock: Do you think Larry is reading us?? :rotf:

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:51 pm

JeanInMontana wrote::shock: Do you think Larry is reading us?? :rotf:

Hey! Maybe :D Larry? Ya there? 8)

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:00 am

Larry can we feed the kids here too?

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

This is The End My Friend: Negroponte Says XP on XO in 60 Da

Postby rockingmtranch » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:49 pm

Posted on March 10, 2008 by Wayan Vota

We all have strong opinions about Windows XP on the XO laptop, and soon according to Laptop Mag, our greatest fears or hopes will be realized:

Negroponte says that a Windows operating system is in the process of being fine-tuned on the XO as we speak. “Microsoft and OLPC are in discussion on how to release it, as well as how to announce,” he said. Negroponte added that the Windows operating system should be available on the XO in less than 60 days.

For me, that paragraph represents the end of a dream. I say that XP on the XO is the end of One Laptop Per Child as an educational project. With a Microsoft operating system, an XO becomes a "$200 laptop", a cheap Toshiba replacement, not an educational learning tool for children.

With the Sugar User Interface, OLPC can claim to have a Constructionist learning methodology, it can claim to be promoting exploration and learning, it can even hope to activate the view source key. But once you put on XP, no matter how much it may be customized to leverage the XO hardware, children will not be taught to "learn learning" as Negroponte promised. They will be taught "ICT skills", a phrase Negroponte himself railed against.

Ministries of Education will be tempted to lock down XO's in computer labs and revert the whole one laptop per child idea back to one to many, effectively negating the goal of this grand dream.

Yes, for me XP on the XO is the end of OLPC, no matter who is the CEO.

http://www.olpcnews.com/software/window ... _days.html

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Re: One Laptop Per Child

Postby rockingmtranch » Fri May 23, 2008 2:11 pm

OLPC spinoff in talks with four laptop makers

The broad influence of the One Laptop Per Child initiative continues to expand its sphere.

Not long ago it was unclear whether the PC--originally conceived as a $100 laptop for children in developing countries--would ever become a reality after a long series of delays. Now the XO laptop seems on the verge of becoming a hot item, and all the research that went into it is leading down divergent paths.

Case in point: Walter Bender, who just left the OLPC initiative to start up its open-source software spinoff, is reportedly in "informal discussions" to get its Linux operating system on low-cost laptops made by four manufacturers. The nonprofit spinoff, Sugar Laboratories, is having discussions with Pixel Qi and is interesting in pursuing a relationship with Intel, Bender told BetaNews. No other companies were named, though he mentioned Asus on Sugar Labs' Web site last week.

It's only the latest permutation in a long-running saga that has seen infighting, resignations, and other controversy since the project's inception. Last month OLPC founder Nicholas Negroponte said the XO might switch from Linux to Windows XP, but that change remains to be seen. Stay tuned.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9950876-1.html

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Fri May 23, 2008 5:19 pm

So this is boiling down to an argument about what OS to put on the machine? :ahhh:

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Fri May 23, 2008 7:58 pm

More like, M$ wanting their little fingers on EVERYthing.

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Sat May 24, 2008 2:25 pm

Yeah I guess I forgot to mention that part. Remember when they broke up AT&T because they were a monopoly?

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Sat May 24, 2008 3:35 pm

Monopoly???? HAHAHAHAHAHA :rotf:

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Sat May 24, 2008 3:45 pm

rockingmtranch wrote:Monopoly???? HAHAHAHAHAHA :rotf:

Why is that funny?

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Sat May 24, 2008 4:15 pm

C'mon! Microsoft? Monopoly? Pot calling the kettle black? Or was it not M$?

JeanInMontana
It's Mine!!
It's Mine!!

Postby JeanInMontana » Sun May 25, 2008 12:39 pm

The government forced AT&T to break up because after a long drawn out whoop T do some other company I don't remember or some idiot in the government managed to convince what ever body of bureaucracy in charge there was an unfair monopoly and they had to fix it.

Don't quote me because I'm not sure of any of the facts or details other than it or something like it happened. Well I do think having said that I can go into politics myself. :rotf:

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Postby rockingmtranch » Sun May 25, 2008 1:03 pm

Oh. That 'They'. I misunderstood 'cause we were talking about M$.

Return to “Multi Media Musings”