Windows death?

A forum for general news about the internet. Might not be strictly PC, should be connected in some way.

Moderators: JeanInMontana, rockingmtranch, ShadowPuterDude, admin, MysteryFCM, Owner

rockingmtranch
I Have Powah
I Have Powah

Windows death?

Postby rockingmtranch » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:59 pm

2008/11/04

If Windows is a dead end, what's next? predicts the death of Windows:

If Windows 7 is more of the same, then maybe it's time to conclude that Windows is a technology dead end. Last spring, Gartner warned that Microsoft had to radically change Windows or watch it fade into irrelevancy. Windows 7 is not that radical change.

So far I have no argument. They then go on to say "In this world, Adobe and Microsoft may be the new OS providers" (though admitting that Apple could be a player also). The envisioned world is what Microsoft is now calling "cloud computing"

Of course, others see this trend as well, as evidenced by Google's Internet-delivered apps; Adobe's its multiplatform AIR and Flash RIA delivery technologies; and efforts by Amazon.com, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, and Sun to get into the cloud provisioning game.

The author of that seems to forget that Linux can fill that need far better than Microsoft can. Of all the parties mentioned, Google and IBM are the ones most strongly using Linux. Of course anyone can use Linux; even Microsoft. Wouldn't that be a hoot? Microsoft circa 2012 providing cloud computing from Linux servers?

http://aplawrence.com/Opinion/windows-dead.html
Linux. Don't fight it. You will be assimilated.
Gulf War Vet--2nd Squadron, 2nd Armored Cavalry--Fort Polk, LA

Return to “Multi Media Musings”