PartedMagic 2.2

All OS other than Windows open for discussion and problem solving.

Moderators: JeanInMontana, rockingmtranch, ShadowPuterDude, admin, MysteryFCM, Owner

MysteryFCM
Runnin The Show
Runnin The Show

PartedMagic 2.2

Postby MysteryFCM » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:25 pm

5/7/08 - Parted Magic 2.2.

This is another update/bugfix in the 2.0 series. I dropped VisParted because strong development is coming from the GParted camp once again. Recent updates to PCManFM have made some new things possible on the desktop and improved the look and feel. All mountable partitions and cdroms are fully supported from the desktop now, so it's never been easier to access files from Parted Magic. You will find most of the bad bugs and annoyances from 2.1 have been fixed.

http://partedmagic.com/wiki/PartedMagic ... Magic.News

Info:

Parted Magic is a Linux LiveCD/USB/PXE with its elemental purpose being to partition hard drives and is not designed to be a "Rescue CD" nor is it based on another Distribution.

Optimized at approximately 45MB, the Parted Magic OS employs core programs of GParted and Parted to handle partitioning tasks with ease, while featuring other useful programs (e.g. Partition Image, TestDisk, fdisk, sfdisk, dd, ddrescue, etc.) and an excellent set of documentation to benefit the user. An extensive collection of fileystem tools are also included, as Parted Magic supports the following: ext2, ext3, ext4, fat16, fat32, hfs, hfs+, jfs, linux-swap, ntfs, reiserfs, reiser4, and xfs.

The latest version is updated with: Linux 2.6.24.3, Parted 1.8.8, ntfsprogs-2.0.0, ntfs-3g-1.2506, and GParted-0.3.7.

Parted Magic uses Busybox for basic Unix commands and networking, the Dropbear SSH server and client, and Firefox to surf the web.

The current Xserver is xorg-server-1.4.0.90 with the following drivers: apm, ark, ati, chips, cirrus, cyrix, glint, i128, i740, i810, mga, neomagic, nv, r128, riva128, radeon, rendition, s3, s3virge, savage, siliconmotion, sis, tdfx, tga, trident, tseng, vesa, vmware, and voodoo.

The mini Xserver, Xvesa, is also available.

Parted Magic falls under the terms of the GPL.
Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

MysteryFCM
Runnin The Show
Runnin The Show

Re: PartedMagic 2.2

Postby MysteryFCM » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:21 pm

10/18/08 - Parted Magic 3.1

Parted magic released with only minor changes from RC1. One of the most important new developments is the HDD version. This is a new concept in rescue/partitioning environments. It's basically a copy and paste USB distribution for system admins and is the future of the Parted Magic project. Version 4.0 will be largely based on Slackware Linux and will offer package management and most things you would expect from a small rescue environment. My honest opinion is the death of CDs and DVDs is closer than most people think and the dominance of flash media with RW is the future of any system admins toolbox. This forum post describes the new HDD version. In the weeks to come, new documents will be written to describe its uses in better detail. The 3.x series might be the last of the RO "Live" media environments for Parted Magic which a large number of distributions do better than us anyway.

Download:
http://downloads.partedmagic.com/
Regards
Steven Burn
I.T. Mate / hpHosts
it-mate.co.uk / hosts-file.net

Return to “Linux - Unix et al”